Charles B. and Susan M. Curtiss
Charles Curtiss served on the SVSU Board of Control for 32 consecutive years, from 1963-1995. As a board member, he provided leadership on the initial $4 million drive to purchase the land on which the campus now sits, along with three subsequent major capital fund raising campaigns. He is a graduate of Yale University with a bachelor’s degree in engineering. He also completed a graduate degree in finance and economics at the University of Michigan in 1958.
In 1962, he was named chair of the local citizens’ committee charged with exploring the feasibility of establishing an institution of higher education in this region. The following year, he was selected to serve on the first board of control for the school, which was initially created as a private institution; in 1965, he was among six original board members appointed to governing the board after the university attained its state assisted status after two years in existence.
He is a successful stockbroker who was named Outstanding Small Business Counselor by the Michigan Small Business Development Center. He has volunteered his time to many community projects, including Forward Bay County, the Bay Area Health Planning Council, the United Way and Chamber of Commerce. He also served on the SVSU Foundation Board and the SVSU Research and Development Foundation.